Friday, January 20, 2012

Introduction

(Photo taken by Paige Powers, 2011)

My name is Paige Powers, I am currently in my second year of Human Ecology combined Secondary Education with a minor in Health Education. Before I begin to talk about communication and what role it will play in my career and life I will share a bit about myself. Firstly, the photo I have included in my post is one of my puppy. Her name is Stella and she is a true gem; always makes me happy. Some of my hobbies and interests include snowboarding, sewing, and traveling. Traveling is a big one for me, my most recent adventure was last August when I went to London, Paris, and Amsterdam. The next thing I have planned is Europe again, for all of next August, so I am pretty excited about that. Once actually thinking about social media and traveling together, they flow seamlessly. A big thing for traveling is how easy it is now to communication with work, and family while gone. I know when I go away, or for when I am planning to go away I need to make sure my iPhone is internationally equipped to make sure I can communicate with friends and family via email, Twitter and Facebook. 

Now when considering my field of work and how communication and social media play a role. Right now in the jobs that I have communication via phone and email are huge, I always need to update my manager with numbers and how the day is going through texting and phone calls. Then also email is the main form of how the district communicates about progress and business. For once I am done school and hopefully teaching CTS courses in High School, social media will play a massive role in that. One form that especially comes to mind, since it also ties my interest of food blogs into it, is blogging. I think one good way to organize a Foods CTS class is to use social media to find good baking and cooking ideas and recipes. It will give the students some freedom and allow them to explore the world of blogging. This is also something that Rebecca Miller's  main interest is in. Food blogs, which will help us both out since we are in the same program, just different minors. 

My favourite food blog is Monica's, she always has the best recipes. Another really good website and also used by Rebecca is skinnytaste




1 comment:

  1. Great introductory post! I really like the picture of you dog Stella, she looks adorable. I think it's really neat how you can link all your interests, particularly traveling, with social media. I never thought about how the two work together so fluently before and how important it is to be able to keep in touch with friends and family while adventuring in other countries.

    ReplyDelete